Wednesday, June 04, 2008

血腥娛樂 / Blood Sport

Blood "sport" have been around since the beginning of human history, from the fight-to-the-death spectacles of the Roman empire gladiators to the modern day man-vs-beast bull-fights in the ring. Then there are legal recreational hunting, illegal dog and cock fights, as well as boxing and Ultimate Fighting Championship combats (see my previous blog article). So, where does one draw the line between violence out of necessity (e.g. wars for peace, eating meat, corporal punishments), and the senseless/gratuitous violence on TV that are being called entertainment these days?

I do not have an answer.

However, I do recall what my aboriginal friend said during my Ski-with-the-Cree trip earlier this year: "One should hurt or kill another living thing only for survival and one then should have the decency to pay respect and say thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Acknowledgment: I would like to thank Inner Space for his "dark side" comments that have provided me the food-for-thoughts for this article

图片 Photograph Credit - Wikipedia: Jean-Leon Gerome's painting "Pollice Verso" ("Thumb Down!!" which meant death to the defeated gladiator)

8 comments:

新鮮人 said...

弱肉強食是生物的天性,
為了生存,
什麼東西都可以做得出,
包括殺害同類!

人類有智慧而生教化,
從而擺脫了暴力行為,
但亦有人進一步將殘殺變成娛樂和遊戲,
可見人類根本同所有生物没有太大的分別,
殺戮的潛音識還是存在,
分別只在於有人多的,有人少啲而己!

San Wen Ji said...

是一種欲望(權力)的發洩吧!

Haricot 微豆 said...

新鮮人: 或許人的野獸本能潛意識仍在,但希望的是人類「進化」了數萬年,再加上數千年文明文化,会和獸類有分別。

Haricot 微豆 said...

San Wen Ji: 我倒沒有想到這點,血腥勝利是一種欲望權力的發洩,謝謝您的意見。

Keith said...

I don't even know how many virtual people and creatures I killed. My hands are practically soaking and dripping with blood after playing hours and hours video games for years. It is rather amazing I walk in the office the next morning, and still be able to tell I am not in the Middle Earth or Matrix...Yes, that is us: Homo Sapien, and the sub-speices: Geek.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith (or should I call you Mr. Anderson):

Don't be too hard on yourself. Next time, do take the Blue Pill just like the rest of us. Say hello to Agent Smith for me the next time you see him.

Keith said...

How many times have you seen that movie? I cannot remember either the blue or red pill that will take you down the rabit hole. :-)

No, won't be hard on myself. Thy ONE will of course have no regret of any of those virtual killings. I simply stated that it is part of the deal of being human: how the primitive brain hypocampus can be satisfied without hurting anyone while the pre-frontal cortex is happy to play the non-zero-sum game in business. And that is why still hope in humanity.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: I bought the Matrix Trilogy DVDs and must have watched them two or more times. Anyway, I was just teasing you in my last response. I understand where you are coming from.

Related Posts with Thumbnails