Sunday, June 01, 2008

簷下鳥巢 / Blackbird's Family




Several weeks ago, I heard this racket inside the soffit just outside the second floor window. At first, I thought the squirrels had gotten inside the crawl-space between the ceiling and the roof. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there were little twigs and grass sticking out through the cracks between soffits that were blown open during the last winter storm. A couple of blackbirds had made a new nest to start a family.

At first, I was going to serve eviction notice to my uninvited feather friends for trespassing. However, I wasn't able to get close enough to determine whether they had already laid eggs in their little nest. So, I decided to wait and see. Sure enough, after about a week, little squeaky noises started to emanate from inside the little crack. The Blackbirds have established their family. Both parents became extremely busy and they flew back and forth non-stop, bringing either more organic materials to line the nest or juicy meals to feed the birdies.

Then last week, one of the bird disappeared. Now, I don't know what had happened, whether their marriage was for the birds (so to speak), or one of the parents died. Anyway, the remaining blackbird never gave up and s/he was working twice as hard to care for the family. I could tell because the noises made by the little ones are getting stronger by the day.

I look forward to the day when the young ones will learn how to fly and I will be able to fix the soffit. Meanwhile, I am enjoying bird-watching in my front-yard and feel like I am part of the family.

Photograph 攝影相片: (a) Blackbird gathering food in the front-yard. (b) Flying home to care for the family (behind the cracked soffits is where the family live)

4 comments:

The Inner Space said...

Interesting!

please keep us posted, thank you.

Haricot 微豆 said...

The story ended not exactly on a happy note. I can only hope the birds are all doing fine. (see next blog article).

啤酒花™_J said...

... :( but they will be just fine...this is life. Applies to everyone

Haricot 微豆 said...

Yes, one cannot help but draw parallel to disasters encountered by the human race as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails