Thursday, June 04, 2009

「海巿蜃楼」与「沙漠綠州」 / Mirages and Oases


When I was in North Africa, I really wanted to visit the desert. I was told the vast sea of sand can be very inhospitable and would destroy those who dare to venture in unprepared. And yet, despite the harsh conditions, nomad peoples have roamed the desert, survive and thrive there for thousands of years.

I was also told that in the desert, on could see mirages, the meaning of which is 「海巿蜃楼」in Chinese - an illusion, something unattainable. But I am not so sure if mirages are that unreal and people chasing them are fools. While 「海巿蜃楼」seem far away and often disappear as one gets closer, they reflect none-the-less what people desire, a beautiful home, a grand hotel, or perhaps an oasis.

The desert is beautiful but she needs people to appreciate her beauty, for beauty is in the eyes of the beholders. To people chasing mirages: Oases might take time to build in a desert, but they are real, can be done, and don't you let anyone tell you otherwise.

Photo: I took this pic from the roof-top of the riad I was staying in during my trip to Morocco.

Related links:
* 「兩週一聚: 色彩」之【摩洛哥】 / 「Bi-weekly Series: Colour」【Morocco】 http://lotusandcedar.blogspot.com/2009/01/bi-weekly-series-colourmorocco.html
* 旅遊摩洛哥: 一些心得丶意見丶資料 / Travel to Morocco: Some experience, suggestions, and information http://lotusandcedar.blogspot.com/2009/01/travel-to-morocco-some-experience.html

2 comments:

readandeat said...

看完你的摩洛哥旅遊,我也很想去。

Haricot 微豆 said...

Readandeat:

摩洛哥真是色丶香丶味俱全,值得一遊!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails