Monday, January 10, 2011

旅遊泰國: 曼谷市 / Travel to Thailand: Bangkok

*** UPDATED ***
To see new photos and text, please click my new Feb 10, 2011 blog article here:
"旅遊泰國: 在曼谷市中心的民宿店 / Travel to Thailand: Bed and Breakfast Place in Downtown Bangkok"

Back in Ottawa, K spent a lot of time researching a good place to stay in Bangkok. We both like friendly Bed & Breakfast (B&B) accommodations as opposed to some high-rise starred hotels. So, this unpretentious little Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel hiding on a side-street just off the busy Krung Kasem Road suits us just fine.

Even as a meat eater, I love their organic vegetarian food, the ingredients of which are either grown on the roof-top or purchased from local farmers. Presently, as I am surfing on the Internet, K is lying on a mat 10 feet away having a Thai massage.

Earlier this afternoon, we and a couple from Germany hired a local guide to take us walking around the Bangkok neighbourhood (as opposed to all the so-called must-see tourist traps) and we went visiting local markets and sampled fish balls and other Thai/Chinese foods at eateries where local workers frequent.

Unlike Malaysia, Indonesia and other parts of SE Asia where ethnic disharmony often leads to riots, Chinese merchants still have a strong presence in the local economy, the root of which stretches back several hundred years. Many of the old shops would have a Chinese name and its equivalent Thai names side by side and integration appears to work fairly well in the community. Perhaps, religion has a major influence in bringing peace to the community as many locals are devout Buddhists.

K just finished her Thai massage and is coming over here with a cup of hot ginger tea in her hand. I better sign off and prepare to share some of her good karma :O

Haricot
(Bangkok)

4 comments:

the inner space said...

Yes during my working trips to bend-cock I did not stay in the town during day off on weekends, I visited he water market and saw a human corpse floating on the river under the river-houses.

Once I went on a local bus tour to 桂河橋, then the ancent palace and took the river boat back to town.

Another time I went to the 荒廢了的古都,walking around the rubbles!

But I afraid to eat at local working class eateries our local colleagues cautioning me of possibility for in-taking deadly amoeba from the uncleaned food.

啤酒花™_J said...

桂河橋, the tiger temple etc..n Thai massage!!! oh i do need one!! did she try their Nail Care, Manicure Pedicure, Nail Salon etc???

Haricot 微豆 said...

Space:

Bend-what :O

Was it a murder victim you saw in the river?

I did buy some cooked food from the street-side vendors, but I was taking a risk.

K and I didn't spend much time in Bangkok. Hopefully, we would be able to go back.

Haricot 微豆 said...

啤酒花™_J:

Well, well !!

I guess for guys, it will be watching kick-boxing matches :O

Related Posts with Thumbnails