Tuesday, October 19, 2010
人生列車: 漆黑隧道 / Life's Journey: Dark Tunnels
I read with interest my friend Space's Oct 17, 2010 blog article "隧道 Tunnel" in which he remembers the first time he went through the Lion Rock railroad tunnel in Hong Kong獅子山隧道. In the postscript, he draws a parallel btwn the numerous dark tunnels of a train trip and the many ups and downs during life's journey. Here is the exchange.
>> ... 記得第一次跟學校（小學）去旅行，乘搭火車去新界，經過獅子山隧道時，突然陰暗了的車廂，而窗外漆黑黑的一遍，小時確實有些害怕 ...
>> ... 當人生的列車進入隧道，由光明轉到陰暗，再由陰暗變成漆黑一遍，列車仍然要走著，但卻不知道要走多久，才能由漆黑轉到光明，唯有拼命地向前方走著、走著，尋找那一線曙光。到終於跑出了隧道，終於見到光明，但又怎知到還有幾多條，更長的隧道，更漆黑的隧道，就在前方呢？...
Thank you for the childhood memory!! I too remember being afraid of riding the train thru獅子山隧道 when I was little. So, my father would take me out to the open gangway in btwn cars to confront my fear.
Inside the pitch-dark tunnel, I could hear the grinding and screeching of steel against steel from underneath the passenger cars. I could sense the groaning and bumping of the coupling that barely held the cars together. I could feel my face catching the tunnel air as the train rushed forward, its cargo lurching this way and that way. I could smell the thick diesel exhaust coming from the locomotive ahead, a comforting reminder that someone somewhere was in control.
But what I did not know at the time was that many years later, my father's words would still ring true in my ears: "Son, there is nothing to be afraid of !!!"
Photo Credit (top to bottom):
* Kowloon Canton Railway 九廣鐵路 museum: Diesel engine locomotive no. 51, retired (Wikipedia: Kowloon-Canton Railway)
* KCR locomotive no. 54 coming out of the northern exit of the Lion Rock tunnel and entering 沙田大圍 (undisclosed: there are undesirable pop-ups from this site)
* The same exit, after the tunnel has been leased to the natural gas company 隧道被租予煤氣公司作為連接九龍及新界的煤氣管道之用 (http://www.hk-place.com/)
* Please click the following link to read Space's original blog article http://mindnecessity.blogspot.com/2010/10/tunnel-english-channel-bbc-deep-beneath.html
* Wikipedia/KCR: "九廣鐵路 Kowloon-Canton Railway"
* Wikipedia: "筆架山隧道"