Thursday, February 28, 2008

旅遊南美洲秘魯(首篇) / Travel to Peru, South America (Introduction)

It is hard to believe I was skiing in -43 deg C weather back in January and here I am in Peru, wandering in humid +27 deg sea-breeze along the sea-cliffs of Miraflores and San Isidro, just south of Lima. The waves of the Oceano Pacifico are huge and they sweep in and rush up onto the miles of pebble shoreline, leaving lines of white foam behind. Most of the locals have gone to beaches further south but many hard-core young surfers can be seen riding on the waves and enjoying themselves under the hot summer sun.

Peru has beautiful sea, mountains, rivers and jungles that are full of the mystery of ancient Incas culture and their footprints. It is also a country of contrast. To escape the attacks of the Shining Path in the 90`s, the government built modern cities such as Miraflores and San Isidro out of the shadow of the old colonial city of Lima. I note that people appear to be generally happy and relaxed during this period of relative peace and economic recovery. While there is still poverty in many parts of the country, there are definitely more opportunities for those living in the cities.

The govt is trying hard to provide security in major commercial and tourist centres. There are tourist police, transit police, national police and municipal police to make sure tourists are safe and criminals are kept out of strategic locations. I ventured only once into the border of a shanty town area and was warned by a passer-by to be careful with taking photos and showing my camera. I made a hasty retreat back to the "safe" side of town.

I will have some more time exploring Peru but am not sure how often I will have access to Internet (also spanish is the operating and keyboard language here). I will have to post the pictures later when I am back home.

Meanwhile, stay tuned !!!

10 comments:

新鮮人 said...

people always say South America is not safe, take care while you are having fun!

Keith said...

Far out. I wonder if you got a chance to see Machu Picchu. I think it was elected one of the seven new wonders of the world.

Ruth Tam said...

Have a nice trip.

Hyacinthus said...

“wandering in humid +27 deg sea-breeze along the sea-cliffs of Miraflores and San Isidro”

All in my mind in the moment is  Envy! XD ~

Please forget any stuff of internet accessing and enjoy your holiday break. We are all great in patient waiting your post and sharing when you home return then.

Happy trip ~

啤酒花™_J said...

enjoy ur trip

Haricot 微豆 said...

新鮮人: I guess it all depends on how much risk one is willing to take. Thanks for your kind words and concern.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: I had enquired abt a trip from Lima to Machu Picchu, but it would cost almost a thousand bucks US roundtrip by air/train for the three days I was available. Given my inflexible time schedule, limited budget, and a looming strike of the transport workers, I decided to give it a pass.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Ruth: Thanks, it was a nice one indeed.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Hyacinthus: Thank you for your understanding and support !!!

Haricot 微豆 said...

啤酒花™_J: Thanks, yes I did!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails