Sunday, November 11, 2007

加拿大軍人 - 2007年和平紀念日: 一個軍人苦痛的回憶 / Canadian Armed Forces-Remembrance Day 2007: The Final Flight of 626 - Hank's Quest





Dedicated to Airman Hank and all Veterans

Your quick glance peers through

My material world in slices

Quietens all my sensory and perceptions

Contradicts upbringing and conventions

With focus on your painful glance

I reflect upon my relevance

Through words and pictures I begin to understand

The quest and final flight of Veteran Hank.


Hank's Quest

Shot Down in Flame

Searing flames dance around the metal frame

Sandy, the crew - God they are in pain

But the scream of those who soon depart

Marks silently the journey that just starts !!

Sixty years I retrace my steps in vein

Buried from my family my living pain

To wrestle with the flames that danced

And put closure to this fate of chance

Years of war, peace and glory

Means so distant to me in Calgary

Crushed are the bones of my crewman friends

Burnt are the fleshes of Airman Hank

Death is near but I am spared

Hospital in England provides us with care

Guinea Pigs we are in kinship and spirit

Healed are our faces by tears from the visits

Guinea Pigs we called ourselves in jest

The years go by - we are counting less !!

The family they are grown up now

My face hides what still gnarls

The night of that fateful flight

Down from the falling sky

Quest for the crushing site

My hope faltering ...

Like a kite.
Resolution at the Site
I breathe in the trees, the flowers and the beautiful field

My son's hand rests reassuringly still

How I wish I did not grow old

Just like Sandy, Charles

and Harold


Back to Calgary

Although I can feel death's stare

There is no need to be scared

My journey soon rejoins with Mary Rose

My heart, my ashes, body and soul

The bomb has left the crippled plane

The load that kept me years in pain

A chapter is closed in my heart

The Club has always been a part

The country enlists all her sons

The Good Lord calls us one-by-one

There is no need to take and pick

On the Final Flight of 626


Epilogue

In October 2005, I was greatly moved after listening to the CBC broadcast about a true World War II story "The Final Flight of 626". This poem is dedicated to Veteran Hank who witnessed the death of his fellow crew members Sandy, Charles, and Harold, as the plan was going down. He ended up in the burn unit of a hospital in England where he met others like him. They called the hospital the Club and themselves the guinea pigs.

After the war, he married to Mary Rose and started his family. But the memory of that fateful flight always haunted him. Sixty years later, after the death of his wife, he decided to go back to England and to locate the crash site where his friends had died. With local help, he retraced the flight path and was able to found the spot where the plane fell out of the sky. With his son besides him, he could almost see his young self, laughing and joking with Sandy, Charles and Harold - except only one of them had grown old. Upon returning to his home in Calgary, he found peace in himself, had closure on this chapter of his life, and looked forward to joining his wife on the Final Flight of 626.

Photo credits:
* Women of the War Years: http://www.airmuseum.ca/wowy02.html
Other references:
* Info on airplanes: http://www.airmuseum.ca/
* Info on the Avro Lancaster: http://www.aviation-history.com/avro/683.html
* World War II Poems from Kathleen Lowe Oliver, Battle of Britain, R.A.F.: http://www.freewebs.com/ww2poems/
* Taiwan's "228 和平紀念日" is different, according to this website: http://www.yzu.edu.tw/E_news/250/information/1.htm

6 comments:

Keith said...

We honor the war veterans on Veterans Day in U.S. today. Imagine if Nazis and Imperial Japan won the WWII, our lives will be very different today.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: Similarly, if the Brits had not won the opium war, the colony of HK would not have existed, my ancestors would not have moved there to settle, my parents would not have met, and I wouldn't be here writing to you in English !!!

Arrrgh !!!

Keith said...

That is interesting. Or, if U.S. didn't join the WWII, you would be writing Japanese in China occupied by Japan. Or, perhaps, you would be a collaborator seduced by parades of beautiful spy women. Most likely you wouldn't be writing to me, since I would be busy plotting to overthrowing Japanese and its collaborator government :o).

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: Hey, wait a minute !! When we were little, we all wanted to play the good guys. So, how come you want me to play the collaborator? Hey? Hey? =:-(

Keith said...

Okay, okay, you can be resistant if you want. When we played soldier and bandit (tag) in grade school, we took turn to be either role. I recall there were kids who always want to soldier (and I was one of them). On the other hand, I didn't think any guy mind playing Tony Leung who had all those sizzling love scenes with Tang Wei. :-)

Haricot 微豆 said...

各花入各眼 .....

Related Posts with Thumbnails