Friday, February 04, 2011
【江湖人海見聞錄】: 灰先生 / 【World Kaleidoscope】: Mr. Gray // 精神分裂症 schizophrenia (Part 2)
(上續 cont'd from .... Part 1)
- "Are you OK Gray?"
There is no answer, just his sobbing.
- "Answer me Gray. What's wrong? Do you want to talk abt it?"
The door squeaks open and there is Gray sitting on his bed with no pants on.
I hear Cathy's footsteps coming down the hallway.
- "It's OK, Cathy! I am WITH Gray." I yell.
Sensing the tone in my voice, she steps back into her room.
I fix my eyes on Gray who is covered in tears.
- "What's going on Gray? Why are you crying?"
- "The children of the world are suffering ... (more sobbing) ... and there is nothing I can do for them."
- "Yes I know Gray, and we are all trying to help ..."
I gently reach out my hand to pat him on the shoulder.
- "But I AM Jesus Christ and I AM supposed to help them ..."
My hand freezes in mid-air. He looks at me, his eyes pain with sorrow. It's the first time I come face-top-face with someone who thinks he is Jesus Christ, with no pants on.
To escape his fixed penetrating gaze, my eyes wonder around the bedroom.
- "I believe you ... (as I bite my tongue and refrain from calling him Gray). ...
- Oh, and what is this model of the space shuttle sitting on your bed?"
I try to change the subject.
- "The Americans are going to launch the space shuttle this weekend."
He picks up the model.
- "And without ME, they will have an accident."
All of a sudden, I am confronted with three issues:
(a) world's children suffering (which, in my professional opinion, needs long-term multilateral solutions from the United Nation);
(b) imminent accident of the US space shuttle (which Houston needs to know); and
(c) my house-mate claiming to be Jesus Christ (who is sitting right here in front of me).
- "And, what are all these pills on the floor?"
I continue with my probing.
- "I just took a whole bottle of them."
My response to that is swift and decisive.
- "Gray!! Put on your pants, NOW !!! I am driving you to the hospital !!!!"
So at two o'clock in the morning, I drove Mr. Gray to the emergency room where they put a tube down his throat and pumped out his stomach.
References / Photo credit:
* Wikipedia: " ..... Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by a disintegration of the process of thinking and of emotional responsiveness. It most commonly manifests as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction. ....."
* 维基百科: "..... 精神分裂症（Schizophrenia）是一種重大精神疾病，症狀為思考方式及情緒反應出現崩潰。常見病徵包括幻聽、偏執、異常妄想及雜亂的言語與思考，並出現社會或職業功能退化。患者通常於青壯年顯現初期病徵，其中約1.5%的患者終身為此病所苦。精神分裂症的診斷方式為患者自述經歷以及觀察患者行為等。現階段並無精神分裂症之臨床實驗。....."