Wednesday, August 12, 2009

先入為主的文化價值覌 / Cultural Bias

In the evening of August 10, after working out at the gym, I stopped by Dick's on Merivale Road for a charcoal-grilled Angus burger and a chocolate banana milkshake. Interesting enough, this classic North American small-town style diner was run by an Asian woman and her daughter (the teenage son was too busy playing games on a hand-held gadget).

Now, don't get me wrong. I have eaten Chinese food cooked by Italians and Japanese food prepared by Chinese. I no longer share the general public's notions of Jesus Christ having blue eyes blond hair and Santa Clause having a big white beard and laughter that goes "Ho!!Ho!!Ho!!". I even found Jackie Chan playing western cowboy in the movie Shanghai Noon perfectly normal. However, call me behind the time or politically incorrect if you must, I am still used to seeing the main characters in West Side Story, Grease or American Graffiti played by western actors and actresses.

Anyway, the food at Dick's was really good and if it had not been for my diet, I would have ordered a coke float and some home fries to go with the burger and shake. The next time I go there, I will try their bison burger. Now, that is very western, don't you think?

(Photo Credit: Wikipedia / Shanghai Noon movie poster)

8 comments:

C.M. said...

Haricot,

Have you tried Molecular Cuisine?

Sometimes, it's a happy surprise when there were bias.

Don't get me wrong. The surprise is happy, perhaps only, when you find the bias yourself.

:)

Anonymous said...

American wild buffalos almost close to extinction,and probably forbidden to slaughter for meat, those bison burger meat, is sourced from natural death wild buffalo or sick buffalo (killed for the sake of humanity)?

Space

p.s. have you tried vegetarian burger? hari big brother

best actor said...

i visited that burger joint before too, it used to call Licks (was a franchise), don't remember when it has become Dicks.

couldn't forget the employees at Licks would sing a tune specifically about your order, whether it was for a burger, fries or milkshakes. those were the days.

Haricot 微豆 said...

CM: The only thing I tried that is anything close to Molecular Cuisine was an Italian wine from Tuscany. The company I visited there actually makes (and also mixes) the wine based on chemical analysis of the ingredients.

You are right!! There could be pleasant surprises to a person with biased opinions. Hopefully, it is a positive learning experience too.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Space: The animals are farmed and not wild. The quality and safety of the meat are regulated.

Yes, I have tried soy-based veggie burgers and they taste all right too.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Best Actor: Now that you mention it, I seem to remember Lick's being there before. Anyway, I tried Dick's bison burger yesterday. It was not as good as the regular beef ones though.

No, I do not remember any singing waiters/waitresses when I went to the Lick's in Southern Ontario. Did they do it just for B-day parties?

best actor said...

the staff at Licks sang relentlessly, or whenever there was an Order. I remember they called Large Fries "Big Guys", and there was this 10 second tune solely for the "Big Guys." Mind you I have only been to one Licks (on Merivale), so dunno if other locations had the same routine.

We frequent Harvey's the most, when it comes to burgers.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Best Actor:

Ten-second tune for the "Big Guys", that's pretty cool XD !!

Yeah, Harvey's Angus burger is good when I need to satisfy my fast-food taste buds on an urgent basis.

Related Posts with Thumbnails