Here are the comments I left at Inner Space's blog entitled "陪著你走":
Space: ... 但我在看到前中文大學校長 高錕教授，得到諾貝爾物理學獎，電視臺跑到他在美國南加州，灣區矽谷鄰近山景城的家中訪問，他的太太 黃美芸女士說：『光纖之父』已經不在了。聽完新聞後，不禁唏噓，腦海中記起這首歌“陪著你走”。報載：『高錕老人癡呆，忘了光纖，忘不了太太。妻子：「不再是以前那個人！」』
Haricot: ... At the time when the Nobel Prize winner was announced, many people were saying: Oh, how romantic!! He "listened" to her like a child !! They were such lovely couple together !!
In my opinion, people were romanticizing the situation because they wanted it to be a happy and proud occasion for all Chinese. But is dementia really that romantic?
An old-age colleague of mine is currently a sufferer of dementia. He can no longer remember my name even though we had worked together before. He tries hard to continue a conversation, but can no longer articulate a point or recall past events. There is always someone accompanying him when he is going places. He often forgets where he is and is prone to taking other people's jacket or leaving behind his own belongings.
There is nothing romantic about dementia, especially if you are the prime care-giver who has the exhausting 24/7 responsibility of looking after someone you once loved but is no longer there.
As Mrs. 黃美芸 said：「不再是以前那個人！」 She is trying hard to put up a brave face and represent a married couple in public. But for all intensive purpose, the Nobel Prize winner's wife was there by herself, taking care of the shell of her former husband - 人去楼空。
* Dementia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia
* 阿茲海默氏症 http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/%E9%98%BF%E5%85%B9%E6%B5%B7%E9%BB%98%E7%97%85
* Alzheimer's disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer%27s_disease
* Inner Space's blog "Mind Necessity" 陪著你走 https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=17028869&postID=261883706178446259
* 最普遍的老年癡呆症(腦退化症): (一) "阿滋海默症科學資料節錄" / Senile Dementia of the Alzheimer Type (SDAT): Part 1 "Scientific Perspective on Alzheimer's Disease" http://lotusandcedar.blogspot.com/2009/11/dementia-part-1-scientific-perspective.html
* 最普遍的老年癡呆症(腦退化症): (二) 探索大腦之旅 / Senile Dementia of the Alzheimer Type (SDAT): Part 2 "Brain Tour" http://lotusandcedar.blogspot.com/2009/11/httpwww.html
Update: 2009-11-13: I would like to thank Best Actor for his comments. I stand to be corrected. I will incorporate his input into the article below. A revised version should be available tonight.
Update: 2009-11-16: I have difficulties keeping the blog article coherent and whole again with all the revisions. So, I have decided to write another article with a new title that is more in line with Best Actor's idea, something like "另一覌點: 人未遠去樓永不空". Stay tuned !!!
Updated: 2009-11-19: All basic materials are compiled and ready. Writing has begun !!
Updated: 2009-11-22 and 23: Part 1 and 2 of the new series of articles have been written and posted. (see Related Links above)