Sunday, September 30, 2007

靜坐常思己過,閒談莫論人非 / Finding Peace in Solitude








Often in the middle of chaotic augments, I remember the old Chinese saying: 『靜坐常思己過,閒談莫論人非』which roughly translates to: "Find solitude to think about one's own shortcomings; don't gossip about other people's weaknesses." This is not exactly the same as:『各家自掃門前雪,莫管他人瓦上霜』, which means "Clear the snow in your driveway and don't worry about the frost on your neighbour's roof". The former is reflective of one's imperfection and therefore the need to stay humble before passing judgements, while the latter advocates the virtue of minding your own business. However, going to the extreme, both can be deadly when people stay passive and apathetic, refuse to help others and lose all sense of community/social responsibility.

Having spent the last two blog posts on 「港男港女」, I find it necessary to stay out of the fray on an issue that I cannot quite related to - having been in Canada for so long - and find some peace in solitude, at least for the time being.

(Photo: Canadian River Scene in Early Fall / / 攝影图片: 十月初秋加拿大河景)

20 comments:

Keith said...

That is a good motto; I'll take it.

Keith said...

Forgot to mention those are beautiful photos. You can feel the refreshing cool air in the midst of tranquil fall sky.

Serena said...

I lived in the city and I must admit that I would not be able to leave behind much facilities available in the city. However, there are times that I would yearn for a little peace and quiet too. Those photos are really nice and peaceful. If you have access to that place, that is indeed wonderful.

新鮮人 said...

那個漸變的"藍"
好美好舒服!
秋天真的來了!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes stay in solitude can really help me to think about myself and reveal the faults I have done. I suggest every one to spend some time to do it once a month.

BTW, the photos are very beautiful.

vicky said...

I never involved such kind of arguments, to let myself peaceful.

I like your pictures very much!

Josefina said...

很美的景色。

xiao zhu said...

Self examination or self review is important from time to time. Another motto worths mentioning "己所不欲,勿施於人".

yuen luk luk said...

看見妳拍的照片,真的有一種寧靜的感覺.

Hyacinthus said...

人懂得去反思,自辯是與非,其實也是一種心理的self-adjustment,看通了看透了便懂得放下,這一刻會看見自己又成熟了點!

另,你拍的湖景很美...

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: That makes two.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: Thanks, I am glad you enjoy the pics.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Serena: I grew up in Hong Kong, a city that never sleeps (不夜天). But now that I am used to the peace and quiet here, it may be difficult for me to revert back to big city life again. Anyway, I am happy to share with you photos of Canadian rivers and lakes.

Haricot 微豆 said...

新鮮人: “藍”是我喜愛顏色之一,天空的藍,深海的藍,湖水的藍,晨霧的藍 …., 再伴上秋天紅如火的楓葉,真是大自然的图畫世界!!!

Haricot 微豆 said...

孱仔: I agree with your suggestion to self-reflect on a regular basis. More pics to come !!

Haricot 微豆 said...

Vicky: Sounds like a wise idea: Stay out of trouble !!

Haricot 微豆 said...

Josefina: Thanks :)

Haricot 微豆 said...

Xiao Zhu: Indeed, indeed. 否則『世間剃剌頭者,人亦剃其頭』!!

Haricot 微豆 said...

Yuen luk luk: 心如止水 -_-

Haricot 微豆 said...

Hyacinthus: 學無止境,是真的!! 哈,我就是喜欢學人攝影,都是業餘性出版。

Related Posts with Thumbnails