Friday, September 14, 2007

一年回顧 / A Year in Review

In the evening of June 8, 2006, I was at home sipping tea and surfing the Net when I happened to come across San Wen Ji's 散文集. What caught my immediate attention was the way the author characterized the blog: 『散落在文字裡情感的收集,為之“散文集”』.It conveyed a sense of being frank and open, of sharing thoughts, and of capturing fleeting sentiments that otherwise would have been forgotten with the passage of time. There were also snippets of thoughts on work issues that reflected the author's workplace experience. San Wen Ji's blog rekindled my desire to write (outside of work), something that had been buried over the years for various reasons. I have always been a creative person - not that I am a professional artist - and that side of me yearns to find an avenue to express myself. As well, I had the desire to retool my Chinese language skill, having used only English and French in Canada for many years.

My blogging started two months later and my first post entitled "Lotus and Cedar: Site under construction" on September 14, 2006 depicted a ruin site in Rome with the caption "This is going to take a while ....." The posting reflected my belief in personal rebirth, revitalization, and reacquainting with the past. The pen-name “微豆∕Haricot”was chosen to signify that I am one of the beans in a pod that in turn is one in a field of millions in the country and, of course, "Haricot" represents the European liaison and French connection.

Looking back, here are some observations and thoughts:
* I find blogging satisfying but also time consuming if I want to go beyond just chitchatting.
* Wikipedia's information are "relatively" more reliable compared to other blog-based sources. I have to remind myself that there is no institutionalized quality assurance/control of public info on the web.
* It's always a challenge to pass judgement on the nature and type of info to be posted. Once in the public domain, personal data, statements, and multi-media materials (video, pictures, etc) become non retrievable and can be used by anyone in any way, shape or form, with or without the author's permission.
* I greatly appreciate the thoughtful comments from my blog friends and readers who are always polite and respectful of other people's opinions.
* I am surprised by how much my writing style and choice of subjects have expanded over the short 12 months. To me, a web-based "second life" (and I don't mean Second Life) is one way to complement but not to replace my life in the real-world. In that sense, there is no difference in between blogging and creative writing, painting for fun, watching a movie, reading a novel, or talking to people.

In closing, I have learnt a lot since the first blog appeared a year ago. I enjoy sharing my thoughts and reflections with my friends/readers on the web, without imposing on anyone. I intend to follow my original "Blog Statement" that says:
"My bilingual blog (English and Chinese) offers a wide variety of topics, including: my daily thoughts; romance/love; traveling pictures of Venice, Rome and other cities; memories of my youth in Hong Kong; running marathons; and other aspects of life in Canada."

It's getting late. So, I will say to my global friends/readers: See you / 就此擱筆 / Alors, à la prochaine / Grazie, ciao !!!

微豆∕Haricot
(September 14, 2007)

References:

San Wen Ji - First visit

Lotus and Cedar: Site under construction

6 comments:

xiao zhu said...

來看你的blog,讀你的文章,能讓我有一份安靜、恬逸的感覺,就像回家的感覺,所以我很喜歡來。謝謝你的分享!

Haricot 微豆 said...

Xiao Zhu: 有朋自遠方來,不亦樂乎!!我也很多謝您的探訪和珍惜您的留言。

Keith said...

Your blog is the first blog I have ever read. You write English and Chinese essays eloquently, with self-confidence and himility. I was inspired enough to start my own blog though I used to use internet mostly for work and for information in the past.

I have not yet figure out the etiquette in blogging. After reading this posting, I quickly take out few info in my profile and my geeky picture from my blog--just in case--don't know exactly what. I also tried hard to think of a cool pen name without success. Calling myself Green Bean would be accurate but not too original; I guess I will keep Keith for now. ;o)

Please keep your wonderful postings coming.

San Wen Ji said...

看回你看我的一篇,可以寫得更好的。不過,又懶得去修改。

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: I am sure a lot of the inspiration came from deep inside you. As to blog etiquette, the most important is to give credit where credit is due (quotes, pics, text, etc). I like your blog name "A Grain of Sand" which reminds me of the expression 『恆河沙數』。Keith, the river runner 恆河渡者∕導者!!

Haricot 微豆 said...

San Wen Ji: 那是一個旅程的開始,我已將那篇「上了相架」喇 ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails