Wednesday, July 22, 2009

語言演變 / The Evolution of Languages

I read with interest Kempton's recent response to an article on language written by Silver back on April 27th. It just happens that the evolution of languages is one of my favourite (or favorite) discussion topics !! Here are the comments I left with Kempton (w/ minor editorial changes):

I would agree with you that languages evolve and that if the majority of users are using the “wrong” spelling for a long period of time, then the “wrong” will eventually become the “right”. For example: I still write「兩週一聚」and not 「兩周一聚」because in my opinion the former is “more” correct. However, I would not say the latter is incorrect.

I apply the same idea to French. Here in Canada, we say “la fin de semaine” while I was told in France, they use the anglicized form “le weekend”. I personally do not use the latter in any formal or informal communications with friends and colleagues. I have no objection if people use “le weekend” in casual conversations, as long as they don’t use it in any official publications.
Language is part of a society or country’s culture and users will always have strong opinions as to how much it should be preserved and to what extent it should be allowed to evolve. In the absence of state interference (such as language police), only time will tell.

I would strongly recommend that you visit Silver and Kempton's sites to read their original articles.

* Silver: 【正音與正字】 http://silvercable.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/replytokempton/#comment-1816
* Kempton: 【“對簿公堂” vs. “對薄公堂” 】
http://ca8hk.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/evolving-languages/#comment-1052

2 comments:

Kempton said...

Hi Haricot,

Thanks for the links and keep this conversation going.

Ultimately languages are living and breathing entities. The more we use them, the healthier they are.

Here is an example. If my memories serve me, I was taught in school -- "I shall", "he will", "she will". But nowadays I write "I will" because it feels more "right" and less awkward. So, in some sense, I am deliberately bending, breaking and changing the rule I was taught. Because I will. And because I can.

May be Chinese language scholars will learn from the English language scholars?

Haricot 微豆 said...

Hi Kempton:

With respect to 'will' and 'shall', you may bend the rules in casual conversations, but just remember in legal contracts, court orders, regulations, legislations, etc, there is a BIG difference btwn 'will' and 'shall' !!!

I am not a legal expert, but here is my understanding of the degree of legal obligations:

Shall/must > will/should > may/can > might/could

There are also other words or phrases that also carry certain degree of legal obligations. The following are examples (not in any particular order):

shall/must comply with ...; is required to ...; is obliged to ...; will endeavor to, is responsible for ...; due diligence; reasonable efforts; etc.

In the legal world, language is more rigid. Some words are legally binding while others are not. When in doubt, consult your lawyer.

(Quote from a legal counsel: "Yes, you can, but you may not.")

Related Posts with Thumbnails