Below is an extract from the Toronto Star concerning the breaking news. When The Star first reported the existence of the said video, the newspaper was accused by Ford supporters of lying. Mayor Ford himself also publicly denied its existence. The Star is vindicated with the announcement of Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair this morning: The digital file containing the reported video was recovered.
Now, whether any charges are going to be laid will depend very much on the content of the found video and other evidence that are to be examined by the police and the court.
Rob Ford video scandal: Police have the video that appears to show mayor smoking crack, Blair says - Ford friend Alexander Sandro Lisi charged with extortion related to the video, police chief says
By: Star Investigations Published on Thu Oct 31 2013
Toronto Police have recovered the video that appears to show Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine, Toronto police Chief Bill Blair said Thursday. Blair said at a press conference, “The video files depict images that are consistent with what has previously been reported” in the media. Ford has long denied the video existed. Blair also said alleged drug dealer and Ford friend Alexander Sandro Lisi was taken into custody Thurday morning and has been charged with extortion.
The Star earlier reported that Lisi, who also faces drug charges, was involved in attempts to recover the video. Ford has been the target of a police investigation that witnessed and photographed him taking part in meetings with Lisi, according to police documents released Thursday. Blair told reporters they recovered two videos from a computer hard drive that are relevant to their investigation. At least one will eventually be presented in court. The Star has been told by sources that the 90-second video its reporters saw was an edited version of the original.
“It's safe to say the mayor does appear in the video,” Blair told reporters.
Police recovered digital files from a hard drive on Oct. 29. The files had been deleted but were recovered by police. Based on the video, there is nothing now that would support laying a criminal charge against Ford, Blair said. Blair said he has seen the video. His reaction?
“As a citizen of the city, I am disappointed.” ......
For more details, please read the news article source: Toronto Star