Friday, January 18, 2008

冬天越野滑雪和露營 ∕ Cross-Country Skiing and Winter Camping

I will be doing some cross-country skiing and winter camping in the James Bay area (northern Ontario) for a week. It will be my first overnight winter trip since I went skiing up Mount Marcy in New York State many years ago. At the time, I only had a 3-season sleeping bag and spent all night shivering. For this trip, I will bring a hybrid bag filled with goose-down (feather) and synthetic materials that is good to minus 20 degrees C. The forecast says the weather in northern Ontario will be bitterly cold, in the minus 30 to 40 degrees range. I will most likely use a bivy sac (outer shell) and wear my downfilled jacket to bed to make up for the 10 to 20 degrees gap.

On a different subject, I have been so busy lately that I have not answered comments left in my blog articles. I did read them and will get around to responding. I still think the earth is spinning faster in 2008 than in 2007. Cheers !!!

13 comments:

新鮮人 said...

可以做自己喜歡的事,
當然開心到暉啊,
也可見你早前的決定不錯! :)

啤酒花™_J said...

I am bz too - bz reading...but at the same time I still feel I am actually too free...hehe

Anonymous said...

It is very hard for me to imagine how cold it is at minus 30 to 40 degrees. Now in Hong Kong is 12 degrees which I already felt cold......

Keith said...

Scientists have found out the earth is spinning faster because too many people cross-country ski eastward, pushing the globe with too many of their slides. Although it is not as serious as the global warming problem, skiers are advised to go either northward and southward from now on.

啤酒花™_J said...

Keith,

haha...yeah, u are right

Haricot, take care... minus 7, 8 degree C to me its very cold already...

Anonymous said...

HEllo..告訴一聲:我轉了新地方.麻煩請改連結.http://blog.pixnet.net/missdoll.

Haricot 微豆 said...

新鮮人: 其實我就是好遊山玩水的,对天然環境有關的活動,實非常有興趣。

Haricot 微豆 said...

啤酒花™_J: As they say in time-management, there is always time in one's life to do things - it's just a matter of priorities.

Haricot 微豆 said...

孱仔: At minus 30 to 40 degrees C, I only have time to take my auto-focus electronic camera out, quickly snap one picture, put the camera back into my pocket, and put my hands back into my gloves. Even then, my fingers will begin to feel numb. Here in Canada, all public buildings and most homes are heated, so it's not too bad indoor.

Haricot 微豆 said...

Keith: Ah, the hallmark of science is that it is always posted up there to be challenged. Now, according to Newtonian physics, the earth will spin faster only if skiers are skiing westward (action), and pushing the earth eastward (reaction). It's the kick- and not the glide-phase of X-country skiing that propels a skier forward. Okay okay, for the sake of humanity, I will heed your advice and ski north-south more often.

Haricot 微豆 said...

啤酒花™_J: Thanks !! "Hot" and "cold" are indeed relative terms.

Haricot 微豆 said...

紗繪: 多謝告知,我会用您的新址。

Haricot 微豆 said...

亞當: 多謝!! 我到您处探訪及留言 http://www.adamhawaii.blogspot.com/2008/02/blog-post_24.html

夏威夷和加州天氣分別真大,很高興聽到您仍是滑雪愛好者。

Related Posts with Thumbnails